It was Hugh Pattinson (1796-1858) who purchased a 7.25 inch (18.4 cm) telescope from Thomas Cooke of York. This was the largest telescope that Cooke had made until that date. It was made at his Coney Street workshop in York. The telescope was 10 feet 4 inches (3.15 m) long and weighed 10 cwt (508Kg).
Pattinson was born in Alston, Cumberland but he made his fortune when he moved to the north east and set up the chemical works at Felling and Washington near Newcastle on Tyne, He discovered a process called the Pattinson process whereby it was possible to extract silver from lead.
Although a chemist Pattinson had a great interest in astronomy and the 7.25 inch Cooke telescope was set up in an observatory at his home Scots House. The telescope would be lent to Prof Charles Piazzi Smythe for his scientific expedition to Teneriffe. Pattinson took a very keen interest in photography.
|7.25 inch Cooke Telescope|